November 17, 2005

Mothers of Boys

Mothers of Boys may relate to this, I went to school today and checked the lost property box and there I found no less than SIX shoes belonging to my son Cameron. SIX SHOES!, two of them aren't even a pair! ( had the other unmatched ones at home). How does this happen? more like how OFTEN does this happen?
Days of threats about bringing home shoes, hats, lunchboxes etc fall on deaf ears. Often you hear in our house "Yes Mum, I did check the lost property, for sure, and I just couldn't find my shoes/lunchbox/hat/jearsey/etc.
As a last resort today Cam had to wear his big brothers shoes (he had none left himself) . As he was walking to the bus he tripped over in those big shoes and grazed both knees badley. We heard the cries from the house (our drive is 350m long) and went and helped Cam. We waveed bye to his brother on the bus and then took him home to clean up his knees. I drove him to school and sent him in with no shoes at all. ( I always said I would never send my kids to school with bare feet). Cam was so upset, scrapping his knees, missing the bus and having no shoes to wear to school. I explained in vain again that this is what happens when you forget your shoes, and that because HE forgot his shoes HE had to wear bare feet.
As I leave the classroom I have one last look in the lost propery box and there to my disbelief (as I have looked there many times already) I find his new sandals - on top - which makes my think another child must have taken them home on accident and then brought them back. Once I found the sandals I decided to look through the other stuff incase there are any jearseys etc, and that's when I found the total of SIX SHOES ( and a pair of soxs).
Oh, I can see this is as a never ending saga, boy and shoes just don't seem to gel, I am up for a heck of a lot more lost property visits before this saga is over!

No comments: