February 25, 2007

School Books

I think I've figured it out... where my love of books, papers and pens originated.

This year as I spent some time (a whole day) covering the kids books for school, I remebered my mum and how she used to cover our books as kids.

They didn't have cover-seal in those days and so, to protect the books she used wallpaper. I can still clearly remember the patterns now, the same wallpaper on our walls as kids.

Then (and here's the special bit) we were allowed to choose a "swap" or a "scrap" to put on the cover of each book. If you don't remember - or had a life outside of 'swaps' or 'scraps' - these were pictures, often children, faires etc, embossed, often glittered and joined together in a sheet by tabs. There was definatly kudos and a rating system when it came to selecting which "swap" went on which book. Afterall there were four of us kids, and probably 5 books each. I just remember it being so special, and that she stayed up late at night doing it.

After the wallpaper and swap, she also carefully cut a plastic bag so that it wrapped around the whole book, sellotaped it into the insides and voila, there you have it - school books covered 1970's style.

so cool remembering that.

2 comments:

Lara said...

ok, thank you so much for this post - I was given some of these gorgeous bits that a lady brought over from Germany & I've been trying to find out what 'we' call them over here! swaps or scraps - thank you!

Megan R said...

Oh, I so remember those! I used to love them!!!